SSAC Course Dates

Branch Instructor Course

The next BI course is set for Sunday 20th November at ScotSAC HQ.

As usual, anyone wishing to attend please ask your BDO or Regional Coach to complete the BI Application/Recommendation Form and return to branchinstructor@scotsac.com.

For any advice about the course please contact the course director, Gordon Young, using the e-mail address above.

Further information on the course, including all the pre-requisites you must have completed before attending the course, can be found in the members area here.

Oxygen Administration/Heartstart/Diver First Aid

The next ScotSAC Oxygen Administration/Heartstart/Diver First Aid course has been booked for Sunday 27th November, and will be held at ScotSAC HQ.

There are a limited number of spaces available for this course, and due to the popularity of this course, places will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

If you’d like to attend this course, please complete the and submit to HQ. Please contact HQ for further details.

Full details on the course can be found in the members area

Nitrox Course

The next Nitrox course will be held on Saturday 4th March 2017 at ScotSAC HQ.

Anyone wishing to attend please contact the Course Director Joe Campbell at:
07876496493
joecampbell@scotsac.com

The cost of the course is £75.00, and a deposit of £30.00 is required to register. You can make an online payment or can pay by cheque or postal order, which should be sent to HQ.

Details of the course can be found in the members area

Donation to St Abbs Lifeboat Fund

The RNLI closed the Lifeboat Station at St Abbs last year. The community decided that a service on site was essential to the safety of sea users of all kinds and set up a fund to raise the necessary funding.

The new Lifeboat was purchased by Boyd Tunnock and will be named and launched in September.

The community still require funds to service the boat and the Lifeboat Station.

Pentland raised some money in support of the fund, we held a quiz night and used the money from our annual Gala Day to present a cheque for £1200.00

Thanks to all who organised, donated, and gave freely of their time.

2016 08 21_St Abbs Ausflug_0191_ed01

Committee Meeting held on Thursday 14th July 2016

Full version of accounts available if required.

Minutes of Pentland Sub Aqua Club

Committee Meeting held on Thursday 14th July 2016

Present

 

B. Lyell, G. Henry, J. Henry, S. Taylor, D. Simpson, A. Lissimore, K. Lissimore, N. Hasham, U. Weigand, C. Mciver, S. Mciver, R. McMath, C. Craig.

Welcome

 

  1. Simpson welcomed everyone to the meeting and thanked them for coming.

Apologies

 

  1. Smith, G. Dyer, D.Scott, K. Watson.

 

Matters Arising

 

Training Officer

 

  1. Lyell has decided to give up diving but is happy to continue on in the position of Training Officer at least until the next AGM.

Brian expressed concern about the lack of feedback when trying to organise training dives, this is further compounded by the lack of Branch Instructors within the branch.

Please ask yourself how many dive trips you have attended and how many you have helped organise.

  1. Taylor will organise a training day on the 4th Sunday of each month with a view to developing divers at all levels. It was also agreed that boat dives (where suitable) should be included in Branch Divers progression to Sport Diver.

Dave will organise the necessary lectures for those who require them.

Finances

  1. Henry presented figures showing the branches financial position:

Several points were made:

  • These figures are accurate from when Gordon took over as Treasurer; income before this date in relation to Mull trip is not recorded.
  • A deduction of £1200 to St Abbs Lifeboat fund is pending.
  • Pool fees from other branches shows us where we are making money.
  • Future kit servicing will incur cost to the branch.
  • Overall, we are in a good position financially. It was proposed that BI’s get their air covered when taking out trainees to offer an incentive and to show appreciation to the BI.

Website

 Simpson has now taken over the running of the website. Any items for inclusion or feedback about the website should be provided through Dave.

Any member can contribute to the PSAC Facebook page directly or via Karen. Regular contributions keep the website and Facebook interesting to current members and prospective members.

Equipment

 Two weight harnesses have been bought for branch. Dave has consulted with SSAC and has carried out a risk assessment, the necessary training material will be updated.

Several items of kit are now requiring test, Niz will schedule these over the coming months. One octopus regulator is missing, it was decided to purchase a replacement. No changes to branch equipment should be made without approval from Equipment Officer or BDO. Most of the current trainees now have their own kit, Niz asked that they provide plenty of notification should they require club kit and ideally collect it themselves from him if he cannot attend the pool. It was agreed that Niz remove his branch fees in lieu of him storing and transporting kit.

It was agreed that the branch purchase a defibrillator which could be taken with the O2 kit on dive trips. Dave has agreed to look into the purchase of a suitable model along with suitable first aid equipment.

The test status of the O2 kit will be checked by Niz.

 

Quiz Night

This year’s Quiz night will take place on Saturday 15th October, Brian Smith has kindy offered to be quizmaster again.

Xmas Night Out

This year’s Xmas meal will take place at the Mayflower in Loanhead on Saturday 10th December.

Pentland BBQ

Two dives and a BBQ, what could be better.

A sunny day was on offer, despite the dodgy weather forecast and apart from a slight hitch at the start of the first dive when we were grounded on a sandbank at the entrance to the harbour it went off well.

BBQ1

Between dives the Club get down to the serious business of grilling and sharing out food.

BBQ4           BBQ2                           BBQ5

Well Done Niz

Club member Niz decided to put his American Muscle car into the Penicuik Car Show.

The event took place on Sunday 29th May at Nobles car park.

niz chevvyNiz took second place in category! with his Chevrolet Camaro.

Fund Raising for The St Abbs Lifeboat

Support-St-Abbs-Lifeboat-Logo-250-x-250With the RNLI closing St Abbs lifeboat station in 2105 the crew and people of St Abbs along with the divers and many others who know that this was a massive mistake started fund raising to re-establish an Independent lifeboat at St Abbs.

Most of our members have already donated to this good cause but the club had decided to fund raise and so Karen had arranged a Quiz night.

The quiz will took place on Saturday 2nd April at Glencorse Golf Club in Penicuik,  Brian Smith  kindly agreed to be our quiz master again.

Brian Smith

Our Quiz Master

 
We also had a raffle, thanks to all who donated. All the proceeds going to the Independent St Abbs Lifeboat fund.
QuizNight01

The winning team – Sleeping Warriors

The quiz was a great success with teams from Peebles Sub Aqua Club and some old friends attending.

The winning team, Sleeping Warriors consisting of Hugh, Marion, Kent, Joan, Jim and Carol.Well done.

Thanks to Brian for being our quiz master, Dave for being master of ceremonies. Glencorse Golf Club for the use of the hall and Karen for once again organizing a great night.
We raised £810 for the Independent St Abbs lifeboat fund.
And the score from Brian are…
Scores from Brian

Scores from Brian

[Gallery not found]
Visit their page for updates on their progress
Support-St-Abbs-Lifeboat-Logo-250-x-250